DEE

The Harry Wainwright "D" class was built at Ashford works in 1901. It was a development of the so called 

M.3 class and was the beginning of the new range of locomotives. It did some of the heaviest work until 1914 

and in the first world war 1914-1918. In January 2001 the "Gauge '1' Model Railway Association" published 

"The DEE Book". And from there I got the idea to construct the twin inside cylinder 4-4-0 locomotive in G 1.

 

Construction Report

The model building is finished  now and it is completely dismantled for painting. Anyway the 

report slightly shortened is still here on the website. It is intended to give a short description of 

parts of the construction of the model started on

02.01.02

 

The start was in December 2001. The mainfraime (

stainless steel) with buffer beam, drag beam and 

completed and working axle pump is now mounted. 

The wheels are ordered in England (Mark Wood) 

and still have to be delivered. The finishing of the 

cylinder blockis the next job. In the  picture is the 

completed chassis.

 

13.02.02

The left picture shows the finished twin-cylinder block 

without front cover and with trunk guides and connecting rods. 

The lapping of the two valves as discribed in the DEE-book

with half chambers was a hard but successful procedure

( about four hours time ).

2.05.02

The finished working chassis with complete

 inside cylinders, axle pump, lubricator and 

front buffer beam.

7.10.02

Now the boiler: the silversoldering was 

somewhat of a difficult job. It is done now 

and the test pressure with twice the

 max. working pressure was successful. 

Left hand: Boiler completed, not 

 yet silversoldered.

26.11.02

   

Smokebox-attachment

on the mainframe

 

View of the mounted

smokebox and backhead

 

The lagging and boiler cleading

is not yet done

12.01.03

Not yet finished but at an advanced stage of the building

1.5.03

There were many problems besides the time needed: especially the tender axle boxes because I had no  

white metal castings (therefore I had not the problem how to fix them to the side frames as recently

 asked in the gaugeone forum). I had the opportunity and constructed real plate springs

and last not least I made ball-bearings for the axles. Now it's done and the finishing of the

 tender with hand pump and gas tank is a straightforward job I hope.

On the left: rear axle box with the buffer beam, on the right: the parts of the 'selfmade' ballbearing axlebox with plate spring

Tender without upper parts

24.08.03

After a longer interruption it comes true, 'the simple box on wheels' - the tender- is ready and is going to be prepared for painting.

 

 

  The completed tender

 

The interior of the tender without gas tank

 

Rear buffer beam completed

 

Underside view

         18.12.03

         The painting is done. The model is finished, every part of the locomotive works well    

          and it is good to say, that especially the engine runs very smoothly.

                A  long way from the beginning in February 2002 to the completion of this nice model !

 It was a deduction and a challenge to build this beautiful small model as carefully as possible. I can 

recommend to everybody to construct this model who has patience and endurance as well as the 

necessary experience.

_______________________________________________________________

home

 

All text and images 2003. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without permission of the 

copyright owner Peter Beck.

update: 03.10.06